Category Archives: All Ages
Click here to see all of our alternative services! You can also see the list of changes that will be made.
- 7 million
The number of Hispanics, 25 and older, who had at least a bachelor’s degree in 2015, representing 15% of the Hispanic American population.
- 5 million
Number of Hispanics 25 and older with advanced degrees in 2015 (e.g., master’s, professional, doctorate).
The percentage of civilian employed Hispanics or Latinos 16 and older who worked in management, business, science and arts occupations in 2015.
The number of Hispanic American Nobel Prize Winners. American laureates include Luis Alvarez (Physics) and Baruj Benacerraf (Physiology or Medicine).
- Octaviano Larrazolo was the first Hispanic woman U.S. Senator
- There’s an advantage to speaking Spanish! Researchers from the University of Vermont have found an advantage and benefit of speaking Spanish but referring to the way Spanish-speakers express themselves. According to the researchers, people who converse in Spanish are more positive and speak in a more positive manner than those who speak other languages.
- Hispanics are more open to mobile technology. A study from PricewaterhouseCoopers has found that Hispanics are more open to mobile technology than non-Hispanics. So more than likely, you’re looking at this post through your phone!
The month of October is pretty busy! Halloween isn’t the only thing in October. October is also Breast Cancer Awareness month, LGBT History month and Emotional Intelligence Awareness Month to name a few. As always, these books in the picture are only a few but we have more on our shelves here at Richard Burges.
Some quick facts about these issues:
- 1 in 8 U.S. women, and 1 in 1000 U.S. men will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime.
- Coming Out Day is on October 11.
- Emotional intelligence can be learned. Through a process called “plasticity,” the brain changes as individuals practice new emotional intelligence strategies